From the blog series “Improventure, an Adventure on Improving Yourself” by Giuliana Alcala.
It is a common saying that you need to love yourself before you can truly experience the love of others. For some, this comes easy; for others, it’s a struggle that brings them down during failures. We spend too much time waiting to be loved by another romantically, being accepted in a group, or getting acknowledged in the workplace.
Loving yourself is all about self-respect and self-confidence. Here are a few things you can do to grow your love for yourself.
- Treat others with love and respect: When you do things that create positive energy around you is a great way to enhance a feeling of self worth.
- Write about it: Journaling is a wonderful way to really get in touch with yourself.
- Let go: Everybody goes through bad break ups, ended friendships, getting fired, and even the death of loved ones. It’s important to acknowledge those feelings, but use them in a positive way that allows you to grow as a person. Loving yourself is key in getting through events like this because you KNOW you will get through it.
- Quote it: I love reading inspirational quotes. Come up with a creative way to remind yourself how important you are. I have my favorites written on my bathroom mirror and every month or so switch them out. No matter where we are in the process of loving ourselves, it’s always nice to have a reminder.
- Trust yourself: Self-confidence is a big part of self-love. Trust your decisions, trust your feelings, and trust that if things don’t work out, life will go on.
“Relax. You will become an adult. You will figure out your career. You will find someone who loves you. You have a whole lifetime; time takes time. The only way to fail at life is to abstain.”– Johanna de Silentio