A recipe post from the series, “Yessica’s Yummies”, by Yessica Saez.
The Spanish Omelet (Tortilla Española), often called potato omelet, is one of the most commonly served dishes in Spain. It is easy, delicious and you can serve it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is typically made with potatoes and fried in olive oil. However, I created a healthy variation of this tasty omelet and I am glad to share the recipe with you.
- 1 sweet potato peeled
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 5 eggs
- 2 turkey sausages sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- Coconut oil
Spanish omelet ingredients
- Cut the peeled sweet potato into thin slices.
- Put the potato, onion, sausage and bell pepper into a heavy frying pan. Saute with coconut oil at a medium temperature until the potato is cooked. If you poke a piece of potato with a spatula, and it breaks into two, then your potato is done.
- Crack eggs into a mixing bowl and beat by hand. Pour into the vegetable mixture.
- Allow the mixture to cook at medium heat. When it has browned on the bottom, turn it over to cook the other side.
Do not try to flip until the bottom is solid.
- Place a large dinner plate upside-down over the frying pan. With one hand on the frying pan handle and the other on top of the plate to hold it steady, quickly turn the frying pan over, and the omelet will fall onto the plate.
- Put the frying pan back on the range and slide the omelet into the frying pan. Let cook for 3-4 minutes.
Cut into slices and serve!